Re: Where can I find gs-aladdin 5.03?

> > > no, that's definitively wrong. The license allows *explicitly* the
> > > distribution with a CD (I read it).
> >
> > I've done so, and many other people on debian-devel.
> >
> > It says:
> >
> >         (ii) Distributing the Program on a CD-ROM, provided that the files
> >              containing the Program are reproduced entirely and verbatim on such
> >              CD-ROM, and provided further that all information on such CD-ROM be
> >              redistributable for non-commercial purposes without charge.
> >

> but is proceded with this sentence:

Sorry, you've got the order wrong. the stuff I quote above
is PRE-ceded by this sentence:

>     However, the following methods of distribution involving payment shall
>     not in and of themselves be a violation of this restriction:

Yes, and your point is?

> So it can be put on a Debian CD. Right!?

NNNNNOOOO!!!!!

we cannot be sure ourselves that none of the 1000 packages contains
any file that may not be freely copyable.  So, we can never be
sure (ii) (above) applies. We can never be sure all information on
our CD rom can be redistributed for non-commercial purposes without charge.
So, it cannot be put on a CD. (and I'm sure it cannot be put on a
slackware CD. It may be possible to put it on a Debian CD, but Debian
as a whole cannot say that).

However, as an individual CD maintainer, you may well decide to put
gs-aladdin on a CD. And you _probably_ will not run any risks.
It's just that I'm quite sure that if Peter (the gs copyright owner)
runs short of money (or gets bored with gs, a thing I'm sure isn't
gonna happen), he may decide to get your CD, wade through all 1000 packages,
and search for one that isn't distributable. If he finds one, you'll
have to pay him about 30 dollarcents (I think it was) per CD sold.

> Hope so
>       Christian

Sorry, but you are misreading the licence.

For the others, this is the more complete part of the copyright:

(a) Distribution of the Program or any work based on the Program by a
commercial organization to any third party is prohibited if any payment is
made in connection with such distribution, whether directly (as in payment
for a copy of the Program) or indirectly (as in payment for some service
related to the Program, or payment for some product or service that
includes a copy of the Program "without charge"; these are only examples,
and not an exhaustive enumeration of prohibited activities).  However, the
following methods of distribution involving payment shall not in and of
themselves be a violation of this restriction:

        (i) Posting the Program on a public access information storage and
retrieval service for which a fee is received for retrieving information
(such as an on-line service), provided that the fee is not
content-dependent (i.e., the fee would be the same for retrieving the same
volume of information consisting of random data).

        (ii) Distributing the Program on a CD-ROM, provided that the files
containing the Program are reproduced entirely and verbatim on such
CD-ROM, and provided further that all information on such CD-ROM be
redistributable for non-commercial purposes without charge.

[..]

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj