Re: Building Debian Packages

> Manoj Srivastava writes:
> > Umm, would debian-devel be a better place for this topic?
>
> Why?  Everybody there already knows how to build a package.  This should be
> discussed where those of us thinking about becoming developers can see it.

The way I see it:
  debian-user: For all questions that ordinary users of debian may have,
               be they directly related to debian, or linux, or computers.

  debian-devel: For all questions relating to the "unstable" version of
                debian, or to development of debian in particular.

Now, building a package for personal use may be considerd
"ordinary use" of debian: it is one of debian's strong points that
it's so easy to build a local package, and interested users should
certainly be able to do so. So, I'd say there's a case for arguing
that this question can be asked on debian-user.

However, if you are going to be a developper, and have questions about
the packaging format or whatever, then those questions in general
should indeed go to debian-devel: that list isn't just for those that
know everything about dpkg (I for one should unsubscribe immediately
if that were true), but also very much for beginning developpers, or
just beta testers (users of unstable).

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj