Lost the POP in smail.

Greetings,
	While doing some software upgrades to my debian box I lost the POP3
ability.  Tried to reinstall smail, nothing, sendmail, nothing.  Eudora
will connect to the box, but as it starts to log in it will just hang.
	Any ideas on what could have happened and were I could look to respovle
the situation?
	I am still getting incoming mail, and the outgoing mail does not seem to
be effected in any way, just can't get the mail with an outside reader.
All help would be MUCH appreciated.

Anthony