X11R6?

Good morning.
I'm a Red Hat and Slackware user moving to Debian.
I have installed a Debian 1.2 from a Infomagic CD. It seems to be
incomplete and I had a some trouble with some files.
For example, I can only use TWM instead of Afterstep because (something)
can't load a library. I have no idea how to fix it, dselect says that
X11R6 and xcompact are not available.
I was able to find xcompat in the debian ftp site, but I don't know what
to do with X11R6 or what it means.
Is there is a r6base.deb o somethig like that? Where is it?
Thankyou.

Horacio Suarez
Horacio@saveas.com.ar