Checking some dates as my "mirror" replaces files,
I present three example files [my computer has Eastern Time in the US]:

file                        date before      date now           date at
ftp.debian.org    date at debian.crosslink.net
                                             and at uiarchive
           [on Eastern Time in US]
--------------------        ------------     -----------
----------------------    ----------------------------
perl_5.003.07-10.deb        Apr 22 5:24      Apr 22 13:24       Apr 22 8:24
(5 hour)      Apr 22 12:24
perl-debug_5.003.07-10.deb  Apr 22 5:23      Apr 22 13:23       Apr 22 8:23
(5 hour)      Apr 22 12:23
ucbmpeg_lr2-2.deb           Mar 20 19:52     Mar 21 4:52        Mar 20 22:52
(6 hour)      Mar 21 03:52

Either uiarchive.cso.uiuc.edu  has added 8 hours to its archive dates on files,
or my computer has somehow changed its dates.
My computer only adjusts system-time via ntpdate or xntpd,
and has without-problem made these changes for some months now.
I just returned from a vacation of 3 weeks.
QUESTION 1: When "xntpd" and "ntpdate" change Linux system-time,
            or when "clock" changes the computer's CMOS time,
            do the filename dates change?
            Could something horrible (nothing I have seen) have happened to
            my disk-drive/scsi-bus that changed file dates?

I ran some experimental tests, mirroring the file
debian/bo/binary-i386/hamradio/rspfd_0.04-1.deb from various sites.
The uiarchive.cso.uiuc.edu version was replaced
as follows (ordered by longitude):
    ftp site                 location       file date          result
    -------                  --------       ---------          -----
    ftp.debian.org.au        Australia      Mar 20 14:52       no change
    ftp.uwa.edu.au           Australia      Apr 16 15:14       replaced
uiarchive  [obviously the April date is wrong]
    ftp.riken.go.jp          Japan          Mar 20 13:52       no change
    sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk     UK             Mar 20 22:52       no change
    uiarchive.cso.uiuc.edu   Illinois       Mar 21 4:52        MY USUAL MIRROR
[will replace a file from ftp.riken.go.jp]
    ftp.caldera.com          Utah           Mar 21 5:52        no change
[SURPRISE SINCE THIS IS NEWER]
    ftp.cdrom.com            California     Mar 20 13:52       no change
    ftp.kernel.org           California     Mar 20 22:52       no change
    aij.st.hmc.edu           California     Mar 21 06:52       replaced
uiarchive.cso.uiuc.edu
    ftp.fuller.edu           California     Mar 21 6:52        replaced
uiarchive.cso.uiuc.edu
>From this, one might conclude that a time greater than 1 hour results
in replacement.
I AM DISSAPPOINTED THAT WHEN I CHANGE DEBIAN MIRROR SITES,
THE PROGRAM "MIRROR"  WILL OFTEN REGET THE WHOLE ARCHIVE.

QUESTION 2: Does "mirror" replace a file if the mirror site indicates
            a file-date more than 1 hour newer than my computer's file-date,
            irrespective of time zone?

QUESTION 3: When Debian went to version 1.2, many Debian mirror sites
            mirrored ftp.debian.org badly, dropping good files and failing to
            mirror others.
            I expect this problem will recur in the future.
            Is it reasonable to switch mirroring sites, or should I expect
            such a switch to reget the whole Debian archive?

QUESITON 4: I suppose either my computer changed file-dates
            or the archive site changed file-dates.
            Which do you suppose happened, or do you suppose
            system-dates/computer-clocks matter here?

Here are some relevant lines from my mirror.defaults file:
        site=uiarchive.cso.uiuc.edu
	remote_dir=/pub/systems/linux/distributions/debian
	do_deletes=true
	max_delete_dirs=50%
	max_delete_files=50%
	mode_copy=true
	compress_conv_patt=
 	compress_conv_expr=
 	compress_patt=
	# I do not set "force_times" (default is yes, forcing local times
        # to match remote times).
        # I do not set "get_newer" (default is true,
        # so get archive files newer than my computer's files).
        # I do not set "use_timelocal" (false would adjust to GMT, I gather).

--
Jim Burt, NJ9L,		Fairfax, Virginia, USA
jameson@mnsinc.com	http://www.mnsinc.com/jameson

"If merely 'feeling good' could decide, drunkenness would be the supremely
valid human experience."      --William James, Varieties of Religious
Experience