lpr: unable to get official name for local machine

Hi group:
Please can anyone tell me what might have sparked the message:
lpr: unable to get official name for local machine
I have re-installed the lpr from lpr_5.9-13.1.deb, but no cure that way.
hostname gets the right answer for the machine name (bay).
Root can cat to lp2 and print. /etc/printcap seems normal.

Using the official 1.3 CD-rom, I had a functional lpr until my CD-ROM
got a series of errors which caused overwriting on the disk and hung the
machine.
fsck then had to clobber some files but I don't know which. Perhaps I
am supposed to record all those inode numbers but if so there has
to be a way to make fsck do it - should I be getting them recorded?

 I don't understand why read errors should have such a major
effect, even if my hardware is a bit weird. By that I mean that when
mounting the CD-Rom I often have to do it twice, as below:

bay# mount -t iso9660 /dev/sjcd mnt
mount: block device /dev/sjcd is write-protected, mounting read-only
SJCD: timeout in state 4
end_request: I/O error, dev 12:00, sector 64
isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev 12:00 iso_blknum 16 block 32
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sjcd,
       or too many mounted file systems
bay# mount -t iso9660 /dev/sjcd mnt
mount: block device /dev/sjcd is write-protected, mounting read-only
ISO9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
bay#
-
I have installed maybe 50 packages off it with no problem; until this
series of errors while reading xemacs-support. I had similar problems with
an earlier version of debian with this CD-rom reading and was hoping this
newer version would be proof against it.

clare