Re: confusion over tcl/tk packages

Michael,

> I give up. What's the difference between
>
> tk4.2_4.2p2-6.deb and tk42_4.2p2-6.deb

Well the package names usually go by:
Name_Version-DebianPackageVersion

So they are _probably_ the same thing. It is just that they included
the version in package name, and listed it two different ways. On my
1.3.1 CD, all the tcl and tk stuff is listed the second way, so it
might be a mistake on the ftp site.

> tk4.2_4.2p2-6.deb and tcl76_7.6p2-6.deb.

Well, tcl is a general scripting language, while tk is a toolkit that
allows tcl scripts to have a graphical (Motif-ish) look under X.

You will need tcl to run tk.

For more info on the versions and dependancies, don't forget to look
in the PACKAGES file.

A question of my own.. what does the /p1/p2/p3 stand for in the
program version of tk or tcl   Is that just a way of listing a minor
revision under tk/tcl?

Shawn