Re: Installing Linux

In your email to me, Davison Avery, you wrote:

> I was wondering if there was a way to install Linux without formatting
> my hard-drive and destorying the existing partitions. I currently use
> Win95, but want to try Linux out. As such, I would like to have Linux as
> the dominant OS, but wish to be able to switch to Win95 if I ever had to
> access some of the data and apps I have.
>
> I know that LILO exists, but all of the messages I've read so far seem
> to imply that I will have to format my drive. I really, really don't
> want to do this. Any other solutions short of buying Partition Magic?

You don't have to reformat. 'fips' does the same thing (in a basic way)
as partition magic.

> I have a 2.1 gig C: and a 1.1 gig D:. Win95 resides on C:.

If you 1.1 is free for linux, you can load the linux stuff on there,
and, after you get it built (still booting from a floppy), you can
either install loadlin and boot from within dos/win, or install lilo
on the MBR of your first drive.

Tim

--
 (work) sailer@bnl.gov / (home) tps@buoy.com - http://www.buoy.com/~tps