Re: heard all the who-haha?

On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Donovan Baarda wrote:

> I'd be interested in knowing if the ping takes a long time or fails. I do
> think that the DNS would be cached from the ping speeding up DNS for the
> telnet, but the ping should then experience all the problems.
>
> If not, why is resolver responce times different for different
> applications? Is it possible that reverse lookups are slow, forward
> lookups fast, and a cached forward lookup entry can be used for a
> reverse lookup? Is the ping somehow causing a forward lookup first, but
> the telnet causing a reverse lookup first?

I was experiencing slow boot times on a ppp-connected machine (sendmail
would pause, waiting for my *misconfigured* diald to *not* dial in).

A fix which works well for me was to reconfigure that machine's named to
be a secondary server for each of the reverse domains it lived on (you
need to specify a backup file location for each domain, which should be
standard practice for most folks anyway, for this to work on a dialup).
By doing so, most relatively local reverse lookups are incredibly quick.

Pete

--
Peter J. Templin, Jr.                   Client Services Analyst
Computer & Communication Services       tel: (717) 524-1590