Re: X11 Display permitions

Hi,

excuse me if my suggestion underestimates your X11 knowledge, but
what is the contents of the environment variable $DISPLAY  when you are
logged in as root and as a normal user?

Could it be, that this variable has no value when logged in as an user, so
that your X11-applications fail to connect to the X11-server on your host?

If my suspicions apply please set the DISPLAY variable to ":0.0" and try
again to run the application...

Alternatively, you are using Xauthority type of connection authorisation for
your server, and in your user's home-directory is a (old) wrong key-file
.Xauthority ...

hope this hepls,

regards,
   Stoyan

On Tue, Aug 05, 1997 at 02:11:11PM +0800, Luka Pravica wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when I'm not logged in as root, I can start X but many programs I try to run
> give the following error: cannot open display.
>
> I can run the same programs as root, without any problems.
>
> Probably I have to change permitions for opening Xdisplay, but I couldn't
> find how.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Luka
>

> --

Dipl.-Inform. Stoyan Kenderov  __  __  _       _     email:kenderov@xlink.net
NTG Netzwerk und Telematic GmbH\ \/ / (_)_ __ | | __ fax  : +49 721 9652 210
Geschaeftsbereich Xlink         \  /| | | '_ \| |/ / phone: +49 721 9652 223
Vincenz-Priessnitz-Str. 3       /  \| | | | | |   <  RIPE : SK23-RIPE
D-76131 Karlsruhe, Germany     /_/\_\_|_|_| |_|_|\_\ www-old.xlink.net/~kenderov
                             INTERNET. MIT SICHERHEIT
              PGP: http://www-old.xlink.net/~kenderov/public.key.asc

                  NTG Netzwerk und Telematic GmbH, Sitz Chemnitz.
       Kreisgericht Chemnitz/Stadt HRB 4217 Geschaeftsfuehrer: Michael Rotert