Re: Basic networking setup

I have 2 cards of that type, but what I did was boot dos from floppy and
then run the card setup utility to turn off pnp and set the ioport and irq
values. Then I ran modconf to install the ne module. They work fine that
way. I only use isapnp on devices that don't allow you to explicity set
the values. With win95, I do the same. I would be more comfortable with
pnp if there were only pnp cards installed in a system. Otherwise, you
have to be sure the pnp auto configurator knows what resources are
reserved by other hardware. I have a hand scanner and a speech recognizer
that are not detected by w95 or pnp. The cards are jumpered for DMA and
IRQ selection. A software test would have to know what is needed to
generate these signals in order to figure out which lines are selected.

On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, Dominic Davidson wrote:

> I've been trying to set up a *very* simple network with two peers
> recently. This is my first exploration into ethernet related issues
> under Linux.
>
> Before I get started properly, the FM's I have read are the NAG,
> NET-3-HOWTO and the Ethernet-HOWTO.
>
> The cards I am using are two NE2000 clones, manufactured by Trust and
> with a RealTek chipset (according to Win95). They are PNP, but isapnp
> seems to work, as does modprobe ne. We are connecting via 10Base2 (the
> cable has been checked and is fine, and the fact that isapnp and
> modprobe don't fail suggests that the cards are OK. The ne2k diagnostic
> program finds the card too. The T pieces and terminators were brand new
> with the card).
>
> On boot, the cards are assigned addresses by /etc/init.d/network (both
> are Debian 1.3 machines). This is what mine looks like, the other
> machine has one exactly the same save for the ip address being
> 192.168.0.2.
>
> #!      /bin/sh
> ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
> route add -net 127.0.0.0
> IPADDR=192.168.0.1
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NETWORK=192.168.0.0
> BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
> GATEWAY=
> ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
> route add -net ${NETWORK}
> [ "${GATEWAY}" ] && route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1
>
> However, pinging 192.168.0.2 gives *no* error messages (such as 'no
> route to host), it just fails quietly.
>
> I've tried playing around with arp stuff, routes and many other things,
> but still it fails. This list is my last resort before I take the cards
> back and resign myself to a net quake free life :).
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dom
>
> --
> Dominic Davidson
>         "cogito ergo sum tendicula" -- anon
>

> --

+ Paul Wade                         Greenbush Technologies Corporation +
+ mailto:paulwade@greenbush.com              http://www.greenbush.com/ +