Colored ls output

   Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 00:01:31 +0200 (MET DST)
   From: Francois Gouget <fgouget@club-internet.fr>

   On 1 Aug 1997, Stig Sandbeck Mathisen wrote:

   > BN> On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Shaleh wrote:
   > >> When I installed Slackware a year ago ls's output was colored.  Is there
   > >> a colored version of ls for Debian or is it a switch for ls??
   > BN> You can add the following to .bash_profile (or whatever).
   > BN> alias ls='ls --color=auto'
   > You might also want to set the TERM variable to "xterm-color" if
   > you're running Xterm and not Rxvt.

	   If all above does not work then maybe your problem is with your
   Xresources file (/etc/X11/Xresources). Try adding the line below:

   *customization: -color

I have tried all of these things and have never been able to get
colorization to work in an xterm.

To confirm this, I just did the following:

1. Added "*customization: -color" to my ".Xresources" and confirmed
   that it appeared by running "xrdb -query".

2. Started an xterm, set the TERM variable using

	export TERM=xterm-color

   then checked it by typing "echo $TERM".

3. Ran "eval `dircolors`".

4. Ran "ls -al --color=auto".

The end result -- which has always happened whenever I've tried this
in the past -- is that certain entries in the ls listing are
highlighted with bold-face text, but none of them appear in color.

Obviously this works for some people.  It's _never_ worked for me.
There must be something else going on that no one has mentioned on
this list.  Possibly I have some other setting in one of my init files
that prevents it from working, but a casual perusal of the "ls" source
hasn't revealed anything obvious.