Re: Why Debian?

Hi,

	I know I am biased about this, but I'll venture forth anyway.
 You mention you want a machine that is
 a) functional
       This is a functional, working machine I am writing from. I am a
       consultant, and this machine *has* to be live almost on a 7x24
       basis, my bread-and-butter depends on it.

       It has most everything that my DEC Alpha workstation used to
       have (including Motif), and pthreads. (It does not have DCE,
       but hey, I couldn't afford it anyway)

       IMHO there is no other distribution that can do better (did I
       say I was biased?)
 b) feature-loaded
    About 1100 packages and growing. *And* you can install rpm format
    packages as well. There are not many things you can find on any
    other distribution that you can't run on a Debian machine.

 c) maintainability and upgradeability
      This *is* Debian's forte. No toeher distribution has the
      dependency trees like Debian has, and though there are a few
      kinks in the system, these can be avoided by reading the release
      notes (does anybody ;-)

	I would not advocate Debian merely for the free software
 aspect. (I don't advocate emacs for that reason either). I quite
 frankly think that Debian is the best distribution out
 there. Period.

	manoj

--
 vi is [[13~^[[15~^[[15~^[[19~^[[18~^ a
 muk[^[[29~^[[34~^[[26~^[[32~^ch better editor than this emacs. I know