Re: speed of X

Pete,
	I mentioned windows because I understand it exhibits both
problems. It doesn't use a large swap space and it can slow down with the
management overhead. I haven't noticed any difference in speed with Linux
when I give it a 128mb swap even if 20 mb is enough. In other words, a
system with only 8mb ram runs about the same as long as there is enough
swap space with Linux. Windows swapping seems to be oriented around some
ratio between physical and virtual memory.

On 4 Aug 1997, Pete Templin wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Paul Wade wrote:
>
> > Linux will use a swap partition of up to 128 meg. You can add swap files
> > if you need more. I haven't heard anything about slowdowns. Maybe you're
> > thinking about windows swap usage and performance? Somebody correct me if
> > I'm wrong.
>
> I know that Linux (or at least Debian, but this sure seems like a Linux
> issue) can use multiple swap partitions (I think up to 8, perhaps even 16,
> being up to almost 128MB each).  I had two 120M swap partitions at one
> time, but removed the second due to IDE performance problems (I had a
> cron-scheduled process that would heavily access the slave drive while
> swapping to the master drive, and due to my configuration, this was
> happening on BOTH IDE controllers at the same time.  Yuk!!!).
>
> I think you can have up to 16 swap files, and I think swap files can be up
> to 16MB each, but I'm not sure.  I was unable to create a swap file in a
> IDE-based Multiple Drives (md) RAID-0 array, but YMMV.

+ Paul Wade                         Greenbush Technologies Corporation +
+ mailto:paulwade@greenbush.com              http://www.greenbush.com/ +