Re: splitting up the debian-user mailing list

Mark> __What do we want to achieve?__

As I read Bruce's mail, this is also an issue of organisation. The
volume here is getting too much for one list-administrator to read
through all mails. Dividing it into two or three clearly orthogonal
lists (ie. that cuts the voulme of each, but not necessarily of all
together) could make it a lot easier to administer things.

Mark> __A Proposal__

I like the topics idea very much, if we can get people to use it (at
least some of the time :-). It would make it very much easier to
filter the group, whether it is visually or automatically. And it is a
good idea, regardless of whether the list is split or not.

However, I would to extend the proposal by adding the topics

	[<package>]

ie. where a topic in all lowercase letter should refer to a specific
package, by its canonical name. Uppercase topics is then reserved for
"supertopics", ie. topics combining several packages or without a
clear relation to any specific package.

Christian Lynbech          | Computer Science Department, University of Aarhus
Office: R0.32              | Ny Munkegade, Building 540, DK-8000 Aarhus C
Phone: +45 8942 3218       | lynbech@daimi.aau.dk -- www.daimi.aau.dk/~lynbech