Re: splitting up the debian-user mailing list

On Sat, 2 Aug 1997, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> In article <[🔎] m0wuPry-00IdTxC@golem.pixar.com> you write:
> >It's getting kind of loud here. I've been thinking of splitting the
> >debian-user list into several lists:
>
> splitting one group into 3 groups will double the total traffic,
> so every group has 2/3 traffic of the original. if you read more than
> one group ...

If people who read debian-{novice,help,install,newbie} set up a procmail
filter that removes cross postings, and this is made known, then people
will try to find the correct list when posting.  Sure people will still
see it, but don't you want the advanced users to see your post too?

As to the question/summary format, where the poster collects responses by
e-mail and post the result.  I've seen this work on a moderated list where
the users had to have a good understanding of the material.  Many of the
users on this list may be newbies, and not understand the posting rules.
Repetitive newbie questions will still appear (were is pgp, ...).
Finally, even on the list I see it work on, many people still don't post
the summaries.  Therefore, maybe it would work on a debian-guru if the
list existed, but not on debian-user or debian-newbie.

Just my $.02,
Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell                         E-mail: bhmit1@mail.wm.edu
  Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/7877/home.html

"We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds."
	--Linus Torvalds