system broken... ;-(

Hi!

The next time I could work on this problem is not before Thursday next
week, e.g. somewhere around the 4+3+7... hmmm 14th August. So this
message is not that urgent but I would appreciate any (helpful
answer) very much.

I need some help. I installed a Debian 1.2 base system, then updated
the whole thing to 1.3 from ftp.de.debian.org. All worked well. I
should not have touched the system any further... but I could resist.

I added unstable to the list of distributions, re-got the package
lists. Then selected some of the new packages... updating was done
automatically. But then a dependency problem occured which I couldnt
resolve to easily. I was a little bit annoyed and press "Q" for
dependency override. Then the problems began.

Many packages didnt install correctly... libc6 didnt configure in the
1st pass... and soon after that there often was the message that

libreadline.so.2

wasnt found. I didnt notice that this lib is so important. Everything
what I already started ran OK. But then I had to go for an appointment
elsewhere.

So I thought I may try out whats actually broken by rebooting the
system... hmmm... everything is broken. It is not able to get its
hostname and I am not able to login as root cause libreadline2 is
missing.

So my question is: Is there any way to resolve this situation without
sitting before the computer for several ours?

I guess I would be able to resolve all those dependency problems.
Actually I was able to find a selection of packages that doesnt cause
any dependency problems but I didnt have the time to apply it. I guess
that the system *might* boot when the file libreadline.so.2 could be
accessed. There are some base packages broken, but with libreadline I
might be able to get a prompt and I might be able to start dselect at
least.

I have a rescue disc and several system boot discs (Kernel
2.0.27,29,30), I have the base install discs V1.2. It would be good
to be able to solve this problem without re-installing the base1.2
system.

Could I extract the file libreadline.so.2 from the approbiate debian
package I download via ftp on my Amiga or with MS-DOS, start the
rescue floppy and simply copy it in the lib directory?

If I have to re-install the base system, would be config files
(network config, x11/xf86 config, my user settings) be preserved or
overwritten?

I aprreciate any help I can get this topic cause I want to get this
system running again without sitting ours before the computer... I
should not have tried the instable dist I know, but after a mistake
one is more clever than before.

--
|_| _ |o _  _  Martin Steigerwald