RE: Debian-lite

>On Fri, Aug 01, 1997 at 05:29:13PM -0700, Travis Cole wrote:
>> On 01-Aug-97 Paul Wade wrote:
>> >A single CD that allowed a wide range of installation types should have a
>> >powerful name.
>> >
>> >Debian Complete?
>> >Debian Universal Linux?
>> >Multiple Personality Debian? :)
>>
>> Take a look at Caldara's naming conventions.  Open Linux Base, Open Linux
>> Standard, and Open Linux Deluxe.
>
>Why not just Debian? It sounds like you are suggesting that actual
>different versions should be shipped! With free software,
>there's no price difference, so no need.

An important goal of the project is the ability to produce a small
footprint distribution to fit on magazine CD's etc. We think that it
will be easier to persuade editors to include Linux on the cover CD if
they do not have to throw everthing else off. A friend has suggested
that the size of a Jazz drive (96Mb) is a good target.

Apart from that you are correct. It would be unfortunate if CD vendors
started offering multiple versions of Debian. I think there should only
be one Official CD set with tools to allow the creation of subsets
discussed above.

Regards,
Alec
--
Alec Clews, <alec@consulting.tca.co.uk>,         PGP keyid:48FA EB81
TCA Consulting Ltd  Tel. 44-(0)171-415-8159   Fax:44-(0)171-556-0022