Unidentified subject!

Hi all,

would it be feasible to provide a WWW gateway to debian-user? Take your
mailing archive: One would have to add the option to only read the messages
of, say, the last three days, or even, if that's possible, to let the user
decide which selection of messages to read. For me, the main problem with
reading debian-user from the mailing archive (apart from the server's
periodically being down...) is that I'd have to load the whole list of links
for, say, July (that's 363 KB) even if it's the 29th and I only want to have a
look at last day's new messages. I'm no html or Java buff, but wouldn't it
even be possible to include forms for posting/replying? At the very least, you
could use "mailto:debian-user@lists.debian.org"; links which invoke your
favorite mailer.

If this is practical (as an alternative, not necessarily a replacement for the
mailing list) you'd have the convenience of a news group with the
accessibility of a web site. Stability (in case of server failure) could be
achieved by mirroring. And as for off-line reading, am I wrong in assuming
there's some Debian tool for getting files/directories from WWW servers? I
realize that all this would need some getting used to, but then again, I
suggest it as an alternative to not a replacement for the mailing list. And it
would obviate the necessity to split debian-user (we don't seem to be able to
agree on _how_ or even _if_ to split it :-)).

Greetings,
Stefan
--
mailto:sbaums@stud2.stud.uni-goettingen.de