Re: ATTENTION: users of commercial X servers

> If I just uncompressed the fonts, would the server run faster?
>
> -Paul

Having fonts comressed will increase CPU load when application requests
font not in server's cache (usually at startup). But uncompression takes
_much_ less time than compression and even on 386SX uncompression of a
single font file will take less then a second (or about a second if you
don't have enough physical memory and this operation would require using
swap space).

So, the answer is yes, but not significantly, and definitely not to the
extent of being worth loosing several MB of disk space.

Alex Y.
--
   _
 _( )_