Re: background sending/pine

On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Paul Miller wrote:

> Thanks.  That helped a lot..  Before I thought that the default was
> localhost (when the value isn't set), but I guess it's not.

> > > For me it takes about 1 second to about 2 minutes to send mail through
> > > pine.  I have background sending enabled in the pine config.  Are there
> > > any programs which could speed this up? -- something that could except the
> > > mail and later spool it to smail.
> >
> > Check that smtp server is localhost.

This issue came up about a month ago. Here is what worked for me:

--- snip ---

Do you remember some months ago that I complained about pine being slow
to send mail? Well, here's the solution from a fellow Linux user:

---quote---

It seems that when pine did the last major upstream release, the config
file changed (at least in my case, but I could have changed it awhile
ago). Anyway edit .pinerc and change sendmail-path (originally blank) to
the example that is commented out:

# This names the path to an alternative program, and any necessary
arguments,
# to be used in posting mail messages.  Example:
#                    /usr/lib/sendmail -oem -t -oi
# or,
#                    /usr/local/bin/sendit.sh
# The latter a script found in Pine distribution's contrib/util
directory.
# NOTE: The program MUST read the message to be posted on standard
input,
#       AND operate in the style of sendmail's "-t" option.
sendmail-path=/usr/lib/sendmail -oem -t -oi

This made my pine lightning fast without the possible problems of using
the background sending option.

---quote---

--- snip ---

...RickM...