Re: ppp configuring with dunc

On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Eugene Sevinian wrote:

> Hi all,
> few weeks ago I have installed Debian from self made CDs with 1.3.0a.
> It seems that everything was fine! [Exepting the fact when I did not find
> some nice lovely things like xman and xload]
>
> Now I am trying to configure ppp conection to my Debian machine at work.
> (I have already ppp conection from w95 working nice). At this point I use
> some scripts and files prepared by 'dunc'. After running 'dialup_connect'
> I am able to hear the tone from modem speaker during ~1 min but no pulse
> dialing at all.  Although, I put debug option in command line string but I
> did not get any debug strings in /var/log.debug :(
>
> Following information might be usefull for understanding the situation.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
> Eugene.
>

> Here is what I am getting in /var/log/ppp/log:
>
> Aug  3 22:45:41 gdak pppd[146]: pppd 2.2.0 started by root, uid 0
> Aug  3 22:45:42 gdak chat[147]: send (atdpm0343656^M)

This send string is wrong.  The version of dunc you are
using is buggy.  Please upgrade to version 2.2.

$ dpkg -f dunc_2.2_i386.deb
Package: dunc
Version: 2.2
Architecture: i386
Depends: ae, ed, ash (>= 0.2-0), dialog (>= 0.9a-8), shellutils (>= 1.12), ppp (>= 2.2.0f-20), gzip, findutils
Installed-Size: 79
Maintainer: Richard G. Roberto <richr@bear.com>
 This is a DUN client configuration utility for Debian GNU/Linux.
 It uses dialog as a front end to ash, so any ash compatable bourne
 shell clone should be able to run it.  It is not complete, but
 should automatically set up a ppp connection over a modem line for
 most vanilla ISP set ups.  There is now canned Microsoft(tm) DUN or
 RAS client support!  This is designed for the newbie to help get
 ppp set up with minimal effort.  There is also now support for a
 non-authenticated direct connection, which has been rumored to
 work with an Apple Newton.  Fig Newton support is planned for the
 next release.

This should be available in /debian/hamm/hamm/binary/admin, and
its only 28k to download.  Please use it to create a new
connection and let me know if works better.  Its easier to setup
than previous versions, but you have to work a little harder to get
your hands dirty.  Its intended for users to not get their hands
dirty, though.

Thanks

- --

"Until we extend the circle of our compassion to all living
things, we will not ourselves find peace" -Albert Schweitzer

Richard G. Roberto