Routing delay

I have a Debian 1.3 system acting as a router at a school here.  There is
an NT 4.0 machine for a dialup server.  When I dial in to the NT machine,
there is often a delay of up to 30 seconds before I can connect to the
Linux box.  I can ping other machines on the LAN right away, however.
Does anyone have any hints as to what might cause this?  The card in the
Linux machine is an NE2000 clone and ne2000 support is compiled into the
kernel.

---
Steven Tonnesen
tonnesen@cmsd.bc.ca