Re: why kernel 2.0.29 in Debian 1.3.1?

(James D. Freels <fea@fea.rrd.ornl.gov>) wrote:

> I commend the Debian development team for choosing the 2.0.29 kernel
> rather than the 2.0.30 kernel in the v 1.3.1 release.  My experience
> with the 2.0.30 kernel is that it caused the latest stable release of
> the Ibcs2 emulator software (970513) to fail.  This was important to
> me in order to run the vendor's (APC) software for smart-ups based on
> SCO emulation.  Perhaps there are other stories of Ibcs2 or other
> 2.0.30 failures the Debian users would like to share?

The afs client software we use at Stanford uses a module that is
unhappy in 2.0.30. 2.0.31 is supposed to solve memory-manager
problems, and that will allow a newer version of the client to be
made. Sticking with 2.0.29 was definitely a good idea.

--
-Mike Horansky, Leland Consultant (http://consult.stanford.edu/)
 moho@cyclone.stanford.EDU

OPINIONS EXPRESSED BY ME ARE NOT NECESSARILY SHARED BY MY EMPLOYERS.