off topic: password strategy as an ISP

As you can see, this message is very offtopic, but still somewhat Debian
related.

I am curious how folks who use Debian in a "production" environment deal
with allocating passwords.

Do you use the pwgen package and let users worry about it from there, or
do you let them choose within the confines of what passwd allows?
I can see a lot of..."no, you can't have anything that appears in the
dictionary, no thats too short, you need a capital or a number in it.."
or..."ok, to change your password you have to telnet in...ok, telnet
is...then type passwd..."

It is interesting.  I've had ISP's who use BSD, Slackware Linux, and NT.
The BSD ISP gave me a rather cryptic looking password.
I had my choice with the Slackware ISP. (Debian would not have accepted my
password...too simple)
Likewise, the NT ISP, allowed me to choose a rather simple password.
Even though hard to remember at first, the password I had with BSD was
likely the most secure.

TIA for sharing your strategies.

Rich M
richm@rogers.wave.ca