Re: ideas about moving Debian to another hard drive

You will get plenty of advice about this.  I just did the same thing,
using copy in mc.  mc has an option to maintain UID and GID on copy.  It
only worked for the files.  The directories were made with root's umask.
I didn't loose any symlinks.  The only problem I had was the directory
permissions.  I have been fixing them as I run across them.

The best advice I saw was to use afio, cpio, or tar.  There were argument
all around on which was the best choice.  I guess the bottom line is
whatever you're compfortable with using.

But don't use mc.  At least not without going through all the directories
and fixing the permissions before you remove the original file system.
Which would take alot longer than just using another program to do it.

Live and learn I guess.

On Tue, 6 May 1997, Ken Gaugler wrote:

> Yeah, that time is here again, when I need more disk space.  I
> have been thinking about moving my Debian to a larger drive, so
> I can take out the smallest drive to make room for a big one.
>
> This is a heartwrenching decision; It has taken a long time to get
> my system working like I want it; including up to 1.2 level.
>
> It seems really impractical to try to "copy" the data from one
> disk to another (correct me if I am wrong, please) because symlinks
> tend to get lost or messed up.
>
> Seems to me the most direct way to move the system is make new boot
> disks, install a base system from my old CD (1.1), upgrade in place
> to 1.2 using ftp, and then restore my favorite configuration files.
>
> Anyone have a better idea?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Key fingerprint =  D6 A7 D7 8C 92 CB 42 FD  60 D5 62 1C D7 B9 EA 8E
> Ken Gaugler  N6OSK         Hybrid Networks, Inc.  Cupertino, Calif.
> (personal: "keng at wco dot com"  URL: http://www.wco.com/~keng)
> "The life of a Repo Man is ALWAYS INTENSE..."
>

> --

--Rick

rickya@siservices.net