Re: Postscript to ?

( Re Message From: J.H.M.Dassen )

> On May 2, Ted Harding wrote
> > The closest you'll find to what you're looking for is in the "pstools"
> > package, which at best will extract the text characters in the order of
> > printing, but totally unformatted. It may, however, do a lot worse than
> > that.
>
> Which program are you referring to, Ted? I'm aware of ps2ascii (comes with
> ghostscript) and pstotext (in non-free, uses gs-aladin).

Oops, you're right! The text-extractor is ps2ascii from ghostscript.
The package I intended to refer to is "psutils", not "pstools", but
this doesn't do text extraction (plus I got its name wrong), thiugh it
does try to do a lot of other useful things to PS files.

However, what I said before still holds. I've used ps2ascii many times, as
a last resort, but it usually only does a rough job. If you can get at the
file before it becomes PostScript you're better off outputting as ASCII in
the first place. I've not used "pstotext" and can't compare it with
ps2ascii.

Sorry for the mistakes -- it's been a distracting night in this country!

Ted.                                    (Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk)