Re: shared library tutorial?

On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, Dale Martin wrote:

> Can anyone point me to an online reference on how to compile and use
> shared libraries?  Note that I'm also interested in the portability of
> the solution - my project also is working with Linux/Alpha, and
> Solaris machines...

If you need something portable, you want to take a look at GNU libtool...
Quoting from the Debian package's description:

 This is GNU libtool, a generic library support script.  Libtool hides
 the complexity of generating special library types (such as shared
 libraries) behind a consistent interface.  To use libtool, add the
 new generic library building commands to your Makefile, Makefile.in,
 or Makefile.am.  See the documentation for details.  Libtool supports
 building static libraries on all platforms.

I read the info documentation quickly, and it looks quite nice...

  Christian

PS Package's name is "libtool", in section devel of unstable.