Re: wu-ftpd

> ls, I get no output.  Only the following shows up:
>
> ftp> ls
> 200 PORT command successful.
> 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
> 226 Transfer complete.
> ftp>

This is probably because "ls" can't find the proper libraries it needs to load.
When a user uses anonomous ftp, it "chroot"s to the ftp directory.  So if
ls is a shared executable (find this out by typing in "file ./ls" in your
ftp/bin directory) you need the shared libraries.  For tar and ls, I have
the following libs in ftp/lib:
	ld-linux.so.1
	libc.so.5
which are symlinks to the proper versions of ld-linux and libc that you have
in the lib directory.
I do believe you need a ld.so.cache in ftp/etc/.  The way I created mine was
by copying ldconfig to the ftp directory, and running it after running
chroot to the directory.  I'm sure there are better ways of doing it, but
that worked.

> Accounts that I have setup for testing purposes and existing accounts seem
> to work.  Should I have  removed the crypted password from /etc/passwd?
> I do have a copy of passwd and group in  /home/ftp/etc without passwords
> in them.  ls has also been copied to /home/ftp/bin, as suggested
> by man wu-ftpd.
You should leave passwords in /etc/passwd, but don't have any passwords in
ftp/etc/passwd.

--
				- John Larkin
				- jlarkin@hmc.edu