Re: Question about startup script

cobal wrote:

> Hi
>
> The book I have says that the start up shell script (aka autoexec
> billspeak) is called .profile or .login in the home directory.  When I
> look (using ls -a) I don't see anything like this.  Any thoughts??

This depends (to some extent) on which shell you use. I use ksh or sh or
bash, depending on the machine that I'm on, and .profile is the file to
use for these. If you run "cd" with no argument to assure that you're in
your home directory (or "cd $HOME" on most systems), then run "ls -l
.profile .login" and get message(s) that there is no such file, then you
may 'echo "echo $HOME; ls -la" >> .profile' and, to test, run
". ./.profile".  If you're running some other shell, I can only suggest
that you run "man <the_name_of_the_shell_you_use>" and carefully read
the fine manual. HTH.

> One other thing - how about some suggestions for an outstanding book - I
> not very happy with the ones I've gotten.  Thanks.

The Nutshell books from O'Reilly & Associates have served me well on any
of the specific subjects that they address.  You didn't provide a clue
on which subject that is, however, so you might like "LINUX Unleashed"
from SAMS Publishing. Or, you might not, it's a lot of material not
particularly well organized for the "cookbook" approach.  You could
profitably run "ls /usr/doc | pg" or "ls /usr/doc | more" and then "pg
/usr/doc/<subject_that_interests_you>" for a few years before you're
likely to need any other books. e-mail me if you need any further
detail.

BTW, these are clues that I'd have appreciated a lot, if they'd come
with the Debian CD that I purchased.

Ralph Winslow		      rjw@nac.net
Someday soon I really  MUST find a way to
piss away a LOT of bandwidth on this .sig