Re: Problems working with bash.

Michel Beland <beland@CERCA.UMontreal.CA> wrote:

 > Second, if you have not already typed something on the command line,
 > history-search-backward does not match any previous command in the
 > history and just beeps.  4DOS and tcsh just match all the commands
 > instead and show you the first match.

  But this was my whole point!  I knew about history-search-backward,
and already use it - but I still need two keys to be able to get just
the previous command, or the previous command starting-with-something.
The 4DOS behaviour is so increadably handy that knowing tcsh also has it
may make me switch to that shell.

 > I have read that this is fixed
 > in bash 2.0, at last, but did not try it yet.

  Me neither, and I'm a bit afraid to as messages on the list suggest
that it breaks a lot of existing scripts.

  Gertjan.

--
Gertjan Klein <gklein@xs4all.nl>
The Boot Control home page: http://www.xs4all.nl/~gklein/bcpage.html