Re: RPM

On Mar 31, Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote

>  Yes.. but...
>  * Windows users probably don't need dependencies. Programs doesn't
>    usally depend on external libraries...

???

Most of the Windows programs I've seen kindly install a DLL or two in the
\Windows directory.

I don't know is dpkg would catch on on Windows, but dpkg's dependency
mechanism provides a much cleaner handing of shared libraries than the
"Windows way"... and is something that would do Windows much good, IMHO.

You want to know is a shared library is still used?

With dpkg:

$ dpkg -r libc5

dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of libc5:
 gmod depends on libc5 (>= 5.4.17-1).
 xtoolwait depends on libc5 (>= 5.4.0-0).
 xsnow depends on libc5; however:
  Package libc5 is to be removed.
 v1 depends on libc5 (>= 5.4.0-0).
 seyon depends on libc5; however:
  Package libc5 is to be removed.
 amd depends on libc5 (>= 5.4.0-0).
[snip]
dpkg: error processing libc5 (--remove):
 dependency problems - not removing
 libc5

On Windows:

C:\> del \windows\whatever.dell

... and then see if something breaks.

etc.

   Christian

PS Of course, this doesn't really work unless a substantinal percentage of
the applications use dpkg.