Re: how to boot single-user

At 08:02 AM 27/03/97 -0800, Ken Gaugler wrote:
>A while back someone told me how to boot in single-user mode.  I can't
>seem to find that email, and there is no man page for boot or single.
>
>Could someone please refresh my memory?
>
>And I wonder why commands like 'shutdown -s' do not result in a
>single user boot?

Interrupt the LILO: boot prompt before it loads the kernel image.  Then,
type the image you normally load, followed by a capital S ie:

LILO: Linux S

And that'll boot single user mode (it'll also ask for the root password).

Regards

   Karl Ferguson,
   Tower Networking Pty Ltd                     karl@tower.net.au
   t/a STAR Online Services                      karl@debian.org