xconsole problem

Still cannot seem to get xconsole to work properly.  Appreciate any
suggestions anyone can offer.

I use xdm, which gives the usual login screen.  There is also
usually a blank window at the lower right side of the screen on
the xdm login screen.  This is not normal, I don't think.

When I actually log in, the xclock, xcal and a couple of xterms
start up, as well as a xconsole window.  These are all specified
in my .xsession.  The line in my .xsession that invokes xconsole is:

  xconsole -exitOnFail -g 490x200-20-50 &

A second or so after the xconsole window opens, it minimizes to an
icon.

There is no information in the xconsole window.  If I use the
command 'xconsole &' I get another xconsole window, with the
message

  Couldn't open console

in it.  Does any of this make sense?  What should I be looking
for to get this working?

Thanks!

--
Ken Gaugler  N6OSK  Santa Clara, California
email: keng@wco.com  URL: http://www.wco.com/~keng