Re: kernel panic with checksecurity

Philippe Troin writes:

>On Fri, 21 Mar 1997 08:40:01 EST Brian K Servis (servis@ecn.purdue.edu
>) wrote:
>
>> I was running the checksecurity program by hand after adding the types
>> vfat and supermount(not really needed) to the list of types to skip in the
>> checksecurity.conf file and I got a kernel-panic.
>
>You probably have found a bad sector and/or your partition table is
>broken. THe only thing you can do is to try a badblocks and add the
>badblock list to the ext2 fs. Or reformat and reinstall :-(

Well, I couldn't even do a shutdown so I closed by eyes and crossed my
fingers and hit the reset button.  Fsck came up with a bunch of errors
and stale inodes, etc.  I ended up loosing a few files most of which I
restored.  All seems to be ok now.

The funny thing is that the checksecurity script had just run and I
noticed it was checking drives I didn't need checked so I modified the
checksecurity.conf file and ran it by hand to see if I had fixed it.

If anyone wants to be a saint and send me copies of any of the
following I would appreciate it.  I don't want to download the whole
packages over my modem just for a few files.

/var/lib/dpkg/info/fvwm2.conffiles
/usr/doc/apache/examples/extensions/README
/usr/doc/netstd/bootpc
/usr/doc/CGI-modules/examples

I also lost

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/compat/[basic,mousekeys,default,iso9995,japan,misc,norepeat,pc]

but I downloaded xbase and extracted them because I needed X and these
prevented it from working.

Thanks,

Brian
Mechanical Engineering				   servis@ecn.purdue.edu