Re: GNU/Linux C++ compiler, where can I get it? Please help!!!

On Sun, 16 Mar 1997, val.tamarov wrote:

> I just install Linux on my PC and general purpose for that was to
> learn C++ in UNIX alike system. But I figured out that Linux does not
> have it ( or I can't find it).Please any suggestion. Any help. I'm new
> to Linux.

every Linux distribution that i know of has a C++ compiler available -
because they all have the GNU C compiler.

from gcc's info pages:

    Compile C, C++, or Objective C
    ******************************

    The C, C++, and Objective C versions of the compiler are integrated;
    the GNU C compiler can compile programs written in C, C++, or
    Objective C.

    "GCC" is a common shorthand term for the GNU C compiler. This is
    both the most general name for the compiler, and the name used when
    the emphasis is on compiling C programs.

    When referring to C++ compilation, it is usual to call the compiler
    "G++". Since there is only one compiler, it is also accurate to call
    it "GCC" no matter what the language context; however, the term
    "G++" is more useful when the emphasis is on compiling C++ programs.

you need to install *at least* the following packages on top of your
base debian system:

cpp             The GNU C preprocessor (ELF version).
gcc             The GNU C compiler (ELF version).
libc5-dev       The Linux C library version 5 (development f
libg++27-dev    The GNU C++ libraries (ELF version).

plus the usual binutils, assembler, make, text editor, debugger, and
other development tools & libraries. Use dselect and install every
interesting or useful-sounding package in the devel subdirectory.

If it's software development you want to do, then you can't get better
than Linux and GNU.

craig