Re: PPP tutorial (was Re: Why is PPP so screwed up!?!?!)

Martin Brundage wrote:

  On Tue, 4 Mar 97 10:27:23 PST, you wrote:

  >Now, as things seem to stand now, the ppp part seems like almost an
  after-
  >thought (as far as its importance to the effective operation of
  dselect
  >goes). The base install seems to be more targeted to people with:
  A) a
  >live internet connection, B) Debian on CD, or C) The Debian
  distribution
  >on another filesystem or NFS. However, like I mentioned, of the
  people I
  >deal with each day, about 5% of the Debian newbies fall into that
  group.
  >It seems appropriate to mention Occam's Razor at this point,
  y'know?

  >- Joe

  Joe,

  I agree the installation and setup needs more polish in this and
  other
  areas. In the meantime, however, you might want to check out a the
  tutorial on PPP setup in the latest Linux Journal (April issue).

  Marty

I initially(last summer) had to use a w95 machine to ftp in the install
disks and later the .deb files to get things going. It was tedious.
After figuring out what I needed(dependencies) and downloading it, I
pulled the drive, changed jumpers, and put it in the Debian box as a
second drive. I think that dialup should be included in the base.
However, I did run into problems when everything needed was not
downloaded. I had a few things broken at times. Once I built a "mirror",
I reinstalled to a clean drive. It was all very educational.

Paul Wade, CEO
Greenbush Technologies Corporation
Web: http://www.greenbush.com/
Email: mailto:paulwade@greenbush.com