Re: Can someon help me configuring X?

On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Barbara Cel wrote:
> I'm tired of 4th day of configuring debian (what a bitchy system,
> friends are advising me to buy Red Hat) and I still haven't X-windows
> configured. I've been instaling this few times from the very beginning
I too have been frustrated a couple of times, so I can understand what you
are going through. First of all the fact that your X is not configured has
nothing to do with the distributions ( at least not between RH and Debian,
corrections are in order). Secondly you could try asking the
comp.os.linux.x group (or something to that effect). The group deals with
a lot of X-windows problems. Thirdly try running the xf86config as root
and check the resulting file. Fourthly try to find out if anyone has the
same combination of monitor and video card or just the video card and see
if
you can use it as a first step.

> and i had lots of strange error messages (i'm using S3 64 V+ card and
> I installed X server for this card). After configuring with xf86config
> the most intriguing errors were:
> "no screens installed"
How do you start X, and this could be due to incorrect frequencies for
your monitor.
> and (this I have now)
> "PEX extension module not loaded"
Check the FreeX86 FAQ questions about why the PXE module is not loaded. I
think you need a section that loads this module. This is not critical for
now.
 > "XIE extension module not loaded"
>
> there are more of this and when I'll be running linux next time i'll
>
> copy it all. Now I changed to DOS (win95) which partition I have no
>
> idea how to mount - I tried to set it as /dev/hdc without reason,
>
> nevermind. If someone will help me with X i'll be greatful...!

That may be the time you read the HOWTOS and FAQ and man pages. Or
consider asking your friends about 'mount'. Someone with a better and
rclearer answer concerning mount??

D.J. Mashao,                         mashaodj@sunserver.engin.brown.edu,