Re: lesstif requirement

Lawrence Chim <ychim@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au> writes:

> edwalter@iname.com wrote:
> >
> > The newest package for timidity depends on lesstif.  I own motif
> > proper.  Is there a way to create a stub package for motif that
> > provides motif and then have timidity depend on motif.  lesstif could
> > provide motif too.

This doesn't really matter.  Even if you could get timidity installed,
it wouldn't work with your Motif.  The libraries have completely
different sonames and they have different ABI's (lesstiff is based on
Motif 1.2, we have Motif 2.0).

There needs to be a seperate package for timidity compiled against
Motif.

> If you are using SWiM Motif, you can call them to provide the debianized
> version to you.

BTW, many companies provide SWiM, only lsl.com has the debianized
version.  (Packaged by yours truly - I have MetroLink on my home
machine and SWiM on my laptop.)  Also, you should use a recent version
of ld.so with SWiM...

Amaya, a free WYSIWYG web editor/browser, (in non-free because it
depends on Motif) comes in Motif and static Motif varieties.  I will
provide a third, lesstif option as soon as it starts working
correctly. (I also will provide thot, a WYSIWYG word processor that
can export LaTeX, HTML and postscript, in the near future.)

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu