Re: xt?

On 7 Mar 1997, marsh wrote:

> I'm not
> saying that the 286 is not a superneato processor which was quite
> impressive (16?, 17? ) years ago, but there is a reason that The Great One
> (LT) chose the 386 for his initial experiments.

So, is it true that there is nothing newer on the space shuttle and other
spacecraft newer than a 286?

I've heard this a couple of times.

One explanation was that the newer chips are so dense that "cosmic forces"
(radiation, etc?) adversely effect the electronics, whereas such things
pass through the spaces on a 286 without creating havoc.
(Please don't flame me for my lay explanation).

Of course, we all know that Linux was on a Thinkpad last year, and will be
on another notebook with a Debian/Linux installation in the near future.
These obviously aren't 286's...

...RickM...