Re: yp service

Jesse Goldman <jgoldman@miranda.fnal.gov> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've got Debian running on one of the office PC's communicating through
> NIS with a few other debian machines and some SGI's, one of which is the
> NIS server. Recently, I shut down the machine to repair something and,
> after rebooting, it looks like the /etc/passwd file has stopped being sent
> to this specific machine from the SGI. I can't imagine how any of the
> configuration files could have been changed and, during boot up, the
> machine claims to be starting ypserv and ypbind. However, it does not
> start ypbind, and ypbind cannot be started manually from the console. If I
> try to run it directly, it's as if the machine ignores the command, I get
> a prompt back but no ypbind process. Does anyone know what could be
> causing this or whether ypbind is actually the problem? Thanks much...
>
> Jesse Goldman

When you run "domainname" do you get the right domain name?

Do you have a /var/yp/binding directory?

You're not running version 5.4.23 (from unstable) of libc, are you?
(That _appeared_ to break my yp service - causing ypbind to behave as
you describe.)

--
| Dale E. Martin | University of Cincinnati Savant Research Laboratory |