RE: permanently running syslogd

The most likely problem then, is that some news directories associated with inn
are still present in /etc/syslog.conf.  Delete these entries in this file (as I
remember they are near the beginning) and then everything should work correctly.
(I had the same problem....)

Paul

On 06-Mar-97 Karlheinz Nolte wrote:
>>Hello all,
>
>I have an Debian GNU/Linux 1.2.2.
>
>The problem I have is as follows:
>
>After booting the PC, the syslogd daemon is permanently in the run
>state. Therefore the PC (486DX33) is very slow. When I kill the syslogd,
>and start it by hand with "/sbin/syslogd", the syslogd now sleeps.
>
>I think this is a problem of the "start-stop-daemon" perl script, which
>is used in the /etc/init.d/sysklogd startup script.
>
>This problem I have only since last week. I remember, that I deinstalled
>the inn package at this time. Could that be the reason for this
>behaviour?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Karlheinz.
>--
>Karlheinz Nolte, VS/ETB5, ALCATEL SEL AG
>D-70430 Stuttgart, Germany
>Tel.:  +49-711-821-41834
>mailto:Karlheinz.Nolte@ks.sel.alcatel.de

Paul Rightley                     DX-3 Hydrodynamics, MS P940
Los Alamos National Laboratory    Los Alamos, NM 87545
Phone: (505)667-0460              Fax: (505)665-3359
Email: Paul Rightley <pright@lanl.gov>