RE: TO the holier-than-thou guru

Tomk meister:

I understand and I'll try to help.

First. Perhaps you might consider a Linux upgrade, then perhaps not.
I not very knowledgeable about Linux and have no knowledge at all about
Linux 1.2 or maybe I'm dyslexic and it is 2.1.

I have the exact same situation with my ISP.
Within my /etc/ppp.chatscript I have:

name         LOGINNAME    (upper case letter have to be substituted )
word          \qPASSWORD\q
vice            ppp

Why you ask "vice" ;  Because the ISP supports ppp, cslip and slip. Therefore when
a prompt is received asking what service I would like to use, the system answers "ppp".

Within my /etc/ppp.options_out I have:
defaultroute /dev/cua2 57600 persist

Why you ask again;  This I believe tells ppp that setup the physical interface as the
defaultroute using device /dev/cua2 or COM3 in M$ terms and 57600 is the DTE speed
and I don't remember what the persist does.

Within my /etc/ppp/options I have:
noipdefault
defaultroute

I didn't touch anything else.

I copied no_ppp_on_boot to ppp_on_boot

I placed within ip-up just for the hell of it.

ipfwadm -F -a accept -m -P all -S X.X.X.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0

I placeed with ip-down

ipfwasm -F -d accept -m -P all -S X.X.X.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0

to shut off what was done in ip-up ( this is for masquerading )

All ip addresses, compression, will and wants will be addressed
via the IPCP, NCP and LCP negotiation when following a successful
login and protocol selection.

I hope this helps.