Re: TO the holier-than-thou guru

Peter Iannarelli writes:

> Drop your linen and stop your grinen:
>
> To all those; and you know who you are, who are whinnnnnnnnnnnnnng
> about Debian PPP. Ask your self two questions.
>
> * What do I know about RFC 1331 or more commonly known as PPP.
> * What do I know about my ISP.

Not everyone has a background in TCP/IP network adminstration. I'm struggling
with RTFM (read the fine manual). I've even broke down and bought O'Reilly's
book on TCP/IP network management. And I still don't have a "warm fuzzy
feeling" about PPP.

> If you can answer these two questions with a little, or a lot or everything, your
> probably not whinnnnnnnnnnnnnng. To the individual who implemented PPP,
> you did a good job. Linux is not M$W 95, thank god. If one has ever tried
> to configure a Cisco, or Alpha (not linux) or SCO box, you know what I mean.
> There is sufficient documentation in /usr/doc/ppp, and /etc/ppp to answer
> almost all questions.

I'm happy that we have "experts" on this list to help us out of our ignorance.
I've looked at the documentation of a Cisco and agree that configuring it runs
a close second to my least favorite activity (going to the dentist).

> If there are specific questions concerning who, what, when, where or why,
> ask away. The ISP is usually not the problem, unless they don't support PPP
> just SLIP. Remember, unless one has a dedicated link, your IP address will
> be provided by the ISP following a successful login (most ISP recycle IP addresses).
> You must specify "noipdefault" and "defaultroute in /etc/ppp/options. If you
> set a DEFAULT GATEWAY and ROUTE in /etc/init.d/network, unset it.

Good info, thanks! Now let me ask a specific question, my ISP not only
dynamically allocates the IP address for it's users, but dynamically allocates
the server IP (several PPP servers on a rotating incoming line). Question: how
do you configure PPP to handle this situation?

--
-= Sent by Debian 1.2 Linux =-
Thomas Kocourek  KD4CIK - member of ARRL