A simple network

David Stein writes:
 > I'm new to Linux and with what I've seen so far (1 night downloading, 1 night
 > installing) I'm impressed.  Is it possible to hook 3 or more PC's together
 > using their serial port with Linux in order to make a simple network?  Where do
 > you get such cables?

You can do this with PPP, but for more than 2 machines the resulting
network will not be simple.

For $100 or so you can get 3 ethernet cards, thin-net cable and
terminators, and set up your own ethernet.  Performance will be much
greater and hassles much fewer.

(I've seen recommendations for Addtron ethernet cards; they're currently $25
minus $5 rebate from DataComm Warehouse.)

Steven Gaarder                     Network and Systems Administrator
gaarder@cmold.com                  C-MOLD, Ithaca, N.Y., USA