Re: pppd keep-alive cron script (was Re: Why is PPP so screwed up!?!?!)

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Steve wrote:
>> On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, Jason Costomiris wrote:
>> I run myown scripts for ppp not the pon. be that as it may.. all thats
>> needed here is to make a script that greps for ppp / pon .. whatever. set
>> this on a cron and bang! if the connection drops, your check script, run
>> at intervals set via cron, sees it down and restarts it.
>
>This is what I use to keep my PPP link up. I have it in my
>/etc/cron.minutely directory (same idea as the other cron.*ly dirs).
>
>It uses two seperate tests to see if pppd is running. I've found that
>under some conditions, one test or the other can fail, but the two
>tests together seems to work very well.
Why don't you let init do this job?

Starting pppd form inittab with a line like:

S1:23:respawn:/usr/sbin/pppd -detach ttyS1

will start a new connection as soon as the old one dies. If you add
lcp-echo-interval 10
lcp-echo-failure  3
pppd will terminate securely when the other end does not answer any more.

Nils

--
     \              /                        | Nils Rennebarth
    --* WINDOWS 42 *--                       | Schillerstr. 61
   Micro$oft's final answer                  | http://www.nus.de/~nils