Re: Fresh Debian on UMSDOS?

I have been working with a small kernel patch that allows the kernel to
use the loop device to mount the root file system contained as an image in
a file. You simply copy; rootfs, vmlinuz, loadlin.exe, and linux.bat to
/linux on your C: drive; cd /linux and run the batch job. This is a
read/write root file system in ext2 file format. It is my intention to
provide enough of a system to build a custom kernel (about 60 meg), so
that if the delivery kernel doesn't suit your machine, you can build one
that does, if you can find 60 meg of free space on a dos machine. The
beauty of this approach over umsdos is that you can install the rootfs
file on any partition, not just a dos one, so you can use it to upgrade
another distribution as well as install a new Debian one.
I hope to have the kinks out by the 1.3 release and intend to provide it
on my gold CDs.

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Scott Barker wrote:

> Brian K Servis said:
> > So the question is how can he install a fresh Debian to his DOS/VFAT
> > internal using UMSDOS?
>
> I can't provide any easy answers to your specific question, but I would like
> to say that your friend should use ext2 filesystems on his SCSI disk. Tell him
> to absolutely not, under any circumstances, use UMSDOS on SCSI disks. There is
> currently a bug somewhere between UMSDOS and SCSI disks which causes kernel
> stack overflow, and can cause severe filesystem corruption. Up to kernel
> 2.0.29, I still haven't seen a fix.
>
> --
> Scott Barker
> Linux Consultant
> scott@mostlylinux.ab.ca
> http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~barkers/   (under construction)
>
> [ I try to reply to all e-mail within 3 days. If you don't   ]
> [ get a response by then, I probably didn't get your e-mail. ]
> [ Unsolicited commercial and junk e-mail will be proof-read for US$100 ]
>
> "What do they call a comedian who doesn't get any laughs?  A philosopher."
>    - Phil Proctor

Dwarf