Re: xemacs is ignoring my tab key

>>>>> "Harmon" == Harmon Sequoya Nine <hnine@nine.agn.net> writes:

 Harmon> Just ran xemacs and was using it to edit a C++ program.
 Harmon> Unfortunately, when I try to indent using my "tab" key,
 Harmon> xemacs totally ignores it.  I've looked through "Learning GNU
 Harmon> emacs" but to no avail.

 Harmon> Also, I tried to change the tab settings using the ESC-x
 Harmon> edit-tab-stops so that my tabs are every 4 characters, but
 Harmon> after doing so, the tabs that are already in my C++ source
 Harmon> remain at every 8 characters.

 Harmon> Any info you can give me on this will be greatly appreciated.

Try this little bit of code:
(setq-default tab-width 4)
;; this stops insertion of tabs completely so only uncomment if you
;; like that (which many people don't, but I do :)
;; (setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil)
(progn
  (setq count 120)
  (setq tab-stops '())
  (while (> count 0)
    (setq tab-stops (cons count tab-stops))
    (setq count (- count 4))))

As to <tab> not indenting do C-h k <tab> and see if it says something
like 'indent-line'.  If not your keymap is messed up for one reason or
another.

Try this:
(setq-default c-tab-always-indent t)

Another thing to look for when you are having problems like this is to
do C-h a <word>.  This will give a listing of all functions and
variables that contain <word>.  Helps me greatly when something is
working the way I expect.

Jim

--
@James LewisMoss                 | moss@cs.sc.edu | Blessed Be!