Re: Package configuration philosophy

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Craig Sanders wrote:

> > Debian comes up in a much "rawer" form after install - for instance,
> > no prompt beyond the basic "#" for root and "$" for the user (RedHat
> > gives you the now famous "username /home/username$" prompt).
> # and $ are standard/expected prompts. if you want something different,
> customise it yourself.
> I like my own prompt of `PS1=(\h-\u) [\t] \w\$ ` (looks like:
> "(siva-cas) [12:14:32] ~$ ") but I wouldnt force everyone else to use
> it...it takes me 5 seconds on every new debian machine i build to edit
> ~/.bashrc as needed.

 =/

 He's right!!!! Debian should provide a nicer default for the prompt. Many
people take this things into account when deciding which distribution they
like best.
 I think we should provide a standard prompt like:

nick@newton:/usr/doc/fvwm2$ _

Or the simpler...

newton:/usr/doc/fvwm2$ _

Nicolás Lichtmaier.-