dsik with new kernel hung at rc.don (sort-of)

     Hi all...

         Created a new kernel for my litlle compaq tecra laptop. (386sx,
     6mb ram, 120mb +- HDD, mono vga)

        After doing a make bzImage, I copied the image to the floppy as
     "linux" and boot the contura with the new disk to perform a new
     install on this box. oh yeah - I ran the *sh file that the text file
     on the boot disk recommends - I cant remember the name at this time.

        The bootup goes well - no problems until the rc.done message
     appears. The machine just stops at this point.

        HOWEVER - After fooling around I found out that ALT+F2 worked. And
     I was able to install the system by running the dinstall executable.

        Any ideas on what I did wrong.

     Thanks in advance...Dave